Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Not a Robot, But a Ghost; Andrew Bird

“Effigy” has not whistling in it, nor “Nomenclature”, so the next whistling song is “Not a Robot, But a Ghost”. Again, Drowned in Sound explains this beautiful song:

This is the last song I wrote for this record. It was a Dosh instrumental track that I really loved called ‘First Impossible’. I wrote these lyrics and wrestled with over a hundred tracks we painted on then peeled away with a heat gun. You could read this as a protest song, a break up song or some vague geopolitical quagmire instantly resolved by a brilliant algorithm.
--

I run the numbers through the floor
Here’s how it goes
I crack the codes I crack the codes
That end the war

The Hour

I pushed a note under your door
Here’s how it goes
Things come to blows
But we don’t want this anymore
No, we don’t want this anymore
I crack the codes you end the war

I hear the clockwork in your core
Time strips the gears till you
Forget what they were for
I push the numbers through your pores
I crack the codes I crack the codes
To end the war

How’s my living
You can call
Encrypted numbers
On bathroom stalls

There’s something burning
It casts a pall
It’s melting numbers right
Off the walls





No comments:

Post a Comment