Monday, November 9, 2009

Tea Break; Omo

I’d continue posting many and many Brazilian songs until they had over. But this Saturday I was looking for a different indie rock to listen, something kind of melancholic, kind of... (someone please tell me a word for descompromissado! lol), but still elaborated. So I went to my sources when it comes to good music. Had nothing for my mood in them.

The next blog I went on was One Sweet Song and there I had some songs in this sort to choose. I decided to pick up “Tea Break” from Omo. For my surprise, the one that I chose to downloading has all those adjectives and is a whistling song!

‘Cause I’m a copier, I’m pasting here what Gina from OSS copied from someone else:

Omo’s The White Album is an album full of spiky little pop gems. A little like Laurie Anderson jamming with the Tom Tom Club, or a collaboration of Laurie Anderson and Young Marble Giants, mixed by Ricardo Villalobos, occasionally joined by Enoch Light on vibes and Raymond Scott on synthesizer. This is a surefire chart hit in a parallel universe where all TV programmes are made by David Lynch and every household owns a hover car. If you’re looking for music with depth and character, that is fun and wants to get to know you, meet Omo.

Now, from themselves:

Omo was born in spring 2004. Using small instruments to fit in a small apartment, Berit Immig and David Muth started the assemblage of acoustic textures, amplified casio pianos and vocals that could be mistaken for a Theremin.

Their first public appearance took place at the Aquarium Berlin, making music a whole lunch break long for passing visitors. Berit Immig: ‘I worship the aquarium as recreational residence. Its the ideal combination of underwater species slowly drifting through three-dimensional space, 400,000 litres of water bubbling behind glass and a subliminal scent of fish food.’

Berit’s and David’s musical paths first crossed when collaborating within London based band Karamasov.


Now, themselves:

--

Until yesterday I haven’t found the lyrics of “Tea Break”. So I had to appeal e-mailing the band on its MySpace account. For my surprise², David Muth answered my message! And said why he and Berit Immig composed it:

It’s a song about a summer picnic, and we put the whistling on as it is both a bit cheeky and light-hearted.

I’m gonna sleep radiant tonight! :D

Shall we indulge in tasty treats?
Forbidden fruits and deeds
Something that completes
A song of little meaning
Blackcurrant and Darjeeling
The masters of self healing

Shall we surrender to the heat?
Be somehow more discrete
Get ready for the leap
Jump into salty waters
It's natures call that taught us
The little snacks you brought us


PS: non-serious is the word for descompromissado.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out! Glad the song worked for your Whistle blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's me who thank for the tip. ;)

    ReplyDelete